Chris Anaradian replaces retiring Jack Friedline
Glendale City Manager Kevin Phelps, has selected Chris Anaradian as the city’s new assistant city manager. Chris will serve alongside Glendale’s other assistant city manager, Tom Duensing.
“Mr. Anaradian brings a unique mix of public works expertise, senior management experience and the leadership skills needed to help lead our organization,” Mr. Phelps said. “I am excited for Chris to join the Glendale team at this critical time as we implement a billion-dollar capital improvement plan over the next decade.”
As assistant city manager, Mr. Anaradian will lead five major city departments. These departments include: Field Operations, Transportation Services, Engineering, Water Services and Development Services. He will manage 565 full-time employees and a $269.6 million budget. He will be instrumental in the city’s annexation and redevelopment efforts in addition to overseeing multiple major-capital-improvement projects including:
- $77-million pavement management program to improve the city’s Pavement Condition Index (PCI) rating
- $300 million in major upgrades to water and storm water capacity and distribution and improvements to filtration technology
- Major improvements and modernizations to city-owned facilities, including City Hall, police and fire stations, support buildings
- Development of a Glendale campus master plan
- Expansion of operations at the Glendale Municipal Airport
- Improvement and expansion of Glendale’s transit system
- Continual improvements to solid waste collection and landfill enterprises
Mr. Anaradian’s public, private and military career spans over 25 years, including his service over the last six years as the public works/development services director for the town of Queen Creek. His prior professional experience also includes 11 years with the city of Tempe, several years as an engineering specialist for the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and the U.S. Air Force and nine years combined at his own public works consulting firm Anaradian & Associates, Kitchell Corporation and Wood, Patel & Associates.
He received a bachelor’s degree of civil engineering from the University of Colorado after attending the U.S. Air Force Academy.
“I am excited to join the city and honored to have an opportunity to help lead excellent Glendale employees who are known for their core values and superior service delivery,” Mr. Anaradian said. “I am committed to ensuring we continue to increase the quality of life of Glendale residents and improve their lives, through the work we do every day.”
Mr. Anaradian will begin work in Glendale on Oct. 16, replacing Jack Friedline, who is retiring after over 40 years in government service. For information about Glendale’s staff, programs and services, visit: www.glendaleaz.com.