Glendale police release new details in deadly officer-involved shooting


Glendale police are releasing new details about an officer-involved shooting last month that ended in a 17-year-old shooter’s death.

In addition, Glendale police are making available the body-camera video of at least two officers and in-car camera footage.

The incident happened before 3 a.m. Oct. 13 at an industrial district near 67th and Northern avenues.

Glendale police had responded to multiple calls of shots fired. The first officer at the scene — four-year veteran Dylan Ansell — reportedly encountered about 200 people fleeing the area from an illegal party in the industrial district.

Police said Mr. Ansell had just arrived when he heard multiple gunshots and witnessed Levy Isaac Madueno Santibanez, 17, firing a handgun.

According to police, Mr. Ansell believed that this was not random celebratory gunfire, but instead potentially an attack on the party goers or an active gun battle, a release states. Further, Mr. Ansell reportedly fired when he feared for the lives of those still fleeing the area and for his own life as Santibanez turned towards him.

Police said Mr. Ansell fired four rounds, striking Santibanez three times. Santibanez was pronounced dead at the scene.

Glendale police said the gun that Santibanez had in his possession was a Glock .40 handgun. During the incident, officers removed the gun from Santibanez’s front waistband. The officers also removed the live round in the chamber as well as the magazine. Police said the magazine had a capacity of 15 .40 caliber rounds and contained 10 rounds when it was unloaded later during the investigation.

A related investigation revealed that Santibanez was in possession of a .40 Glock handgun with an extended magazine earlier in the night.

Police said officers found a second magazine in Santibanez’s left front pants pocket and was removed. It had a capacity of 29 .40 caliber rounds and contained 26 rounds when it was unloaded later during the investigation.

Police said there were three .40 caliber shell casings recovered from the same area where officers first saw Santibanez standing and firing.

The National Integrated Ballistics Information Network forensically matched those casings to the gun that was recovered from Santibanez’s waistband, showing Santibanez was firing from the position where he was first seen.

Police said officers fired no other rounds than the four rifle rounds Mr. Ansell fired at Santibanez.

Other than the shots fired from Santibanez, police recovered more than 40 spent shell casings from the area of the illegal party, which have been traced back to more than a half-a-dozen different weapons that were fired, a release states.

The Glendale Police Department knows that there were multiple shooters at this party and many witnesses that have not been identified.

Anyone with information that may help police with this investigation can call the Glendale Police Department at 623-930-3000.