Glendale man pepper sprays 3 officers during arrest attempt

Chris Caraveo
Independent Newsmedia

A Glendale man faces aggravated assault charges after he allegedly pepper sprayed three officers who responded to make an arrest.

According to the Glendale Police Department, officers contacted Victor Reyes, 35, at his home near 51st and Olive avenues on Sunday night regarding an investigation into an assault on May 17.

Back then, Mr. Reyes was alleged to have pepper sprayed a neighbor completely unprovoked and went back into his house, records show.

A camera recorded the incident, and police were unable to confront Mr. Reyes, who refused open his door to officers.

This story appeared in the Daily News-Sun June 6 edition. Read more by subscribing to the DNS online.

Victor Reyes (MCSO)

During the investigation, officers positively identified Mr. Reyes as the subject involved in the pepper- spraying incident. Then on Sunday, the officer who investigated the original report showed the victim a photo lineup.

The victim picked out Mr. Reyes, records show. Police again attempted to contact him at his home around 10:40 p.m. Sunday. When he opened the door, police said Mr. Reyes immediately presented his body and quickly raised his arm while pointing an unknown object at three officers.

In fear for their safety and the safety of the other two officers, a female officer withdrew her gun and fired one round towards Mr. Reyes. However, he was not struck, as police said the bullet lodged in the door of the home.

Officers then began feeling the effects of what they determined was pepper spray following Mr. Reyes’ unprovoked actions. Records state the spray caused “temporary impairment.”

Mr. Reyes closed the door and ignored officers’ commands.

Because of his failure to comply and his aggressive actions to harm officers, Glendale’s SWAT team responded. After attempts to negotiate with Mr. Reyes were unsuccessful, officers entered into the home and took him into custody without any further incident.

The whole ordeal took about four hours before the arrest was made.

In an interview with police, Mr. Reyes admitted to the pepper spray incident in May but said it was self defense. As for spraying the police, he said he “had to because he did not know why officers were at his home.”

Sgt. John Roth said it is unknown if officers had been at the residence at any other time besides on May 17 and June 3.

Mr. Reyes was booked on three counts of aggravated assault on police and one count of assault for the original incident.

You are encouraged to leave relevant comments but engaging in personal attacks, threats, online bullying or commercial spam will not be allowed. All comments should remain within the bounds of fair play and civility. (You can disagree with others courteously, without being disagreeable.) Feel free to express yourself but keep an open mind toward finding value in what others say. To report abuse or spam, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box.