Trial starts for Kentucky man accused in 4-year-old’s death

Trial starts for Kentucky man accused in 4-year-old’s death

by – 16 May 2019 02:58-04:00

(AP) — A Kentucky man accused of killing his 4-year-old foster son is now on trial for the boy’s death.

The Courier Journal reports the trial of 34-year-old Billy Embry-Martin started Wednesday.

Hunter Payton died two years ago from head injuries. He was removed from his parents’ home by the state just two months earlier over alleged drug abuse and neglect.

Embry-Martin’s lawyer, James Hafley, says Hunter was eating at his foster home’s kitchen island when he fell and struck his head. He was hospitalized and later died. A state medical examiner ruled the injuries were inflicted and not accidental. An investigation by Radcliff police and Child Protective Services led to Embry-Martin being charged with murder last year.

Hardin Circuit Judge Ken Howard says he expects the trial to last a week.

___

Information from: Courier Journal, http://www.courier -journal.com

Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.



You are encouraged to leave relevant comments but engaging in personal attacks, threats, online bullying or commercial spam will not be allowed. All comments should remain within the bounds of fair play and civility. (You can disagree with others courteously, without being disagreeable.) Feel free to express yourself but keep an open mind toward finding value in what others say. To report abuse or spam, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box.