Glendale officer injured during arrest of trespasser

A Glendale Police Department vehicle. [Independent Newsmedia file]

By Chris Caraveo
Independent Newsmedia

A man involved in a deadly Peoria shooting and released afterwards was arrested in connection with a trespassing incident that left a Glendale officer with a broken finger.

Christopher Mott (MCSO)

According to court records, 30-year-old Christopher Mott was booked into jail Sunday on charges including aggravated assault on an officer and trespassing.

According to a police, Glendale officers responded around 4:40 a.m. to the area of Glendale and 47th avenues regarding a person trespassing and disturbing a residence. When the two officers contacted the individual, identified as Mr. Mott, they informed him that he was trespassing and asked him to leave.

Read more on this arrest in the Daily News-Sun April 17 edition, page 4. Subscribe at

According to a probable cause statement, Mr. Mott became non-compliant and physically resistant to one of the officer’s attempts to escort him off the property. As a result, the officer attempted to arrest Mr. Mott. During the arrest, Mr. Mott allegedly kicked both officers multiple times in the lower extremities and torso, according to records.

One officer sustained a broken finger on his left hand as a result of the incident, records show. The Glendale Fire Department transported him to Banner Thunderbird Medical Center where emergency room personnel confirmed the injury.

Sgt. John Roth could not comment on the specifics of the injury but said the officer was released later in the day.

Mr. Mott was involved in a shooting April 2 near 91st and Olive avenues that left 26-year-old Jaime Guerrero dead.

The Peoria Police Department was investigating possible self-defense when they released Mr. Mott.

According to records, Mr. Mott was booked on two counts of aggravated assault on a officer, and one count each of aggravated assault resulting in physical injury, resisting arrest and criminal trespassing.

A Glendale sergeant requested a $10,000 bond for Mr. Mott’s release orders. However, court records show he was released on his own recognizance with court dates scheduled April 30 and May 4.

You are encouraged to leave relevant comments but engaging in personal attacks, threats, online bullying or commercial spam will not be allowed. All comments should remain within the bounds of fair play and civility. (You can disagree with others courteously, without being disagreeable.) Feel free to express yourself but keep an open mind toward finding value in what others say. To report abuse or spam, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box.