The Phoenix Office of Environmental Programs has selected six community organizations to receive a Resilient & Sustainable Agriculture Grant.
“These private and nonprofit farms are working toward a more sustainable, resilient, equitable and thriving food system,” city officials stated in a release.
The six, which were selected from among 32 applications for the $245,000 available in the grant, are:
- The Food Forest Cooperative, located at Spaces of Opportunity in South Phoenix, will use the grant funds to make their food forest more resilient against extreme summer temperatures and to increase their ability to sell new products locally. Purchases include a greenhouse, shade infrastructure, solar pump, water tank, signage, pathway supplies and stipends.
- Society of St. Vincent de Paul will use the grant to install seasonal shade structures at two existing South Phoenix urban farms, which will extend the growing season, enhance soil biology, and provide free, fresh food to food-insecure and low-income community members and people experiencing homelessness.
- Maya's Farm, a 3.3-acre farm in South Phoenix, will use the grant funds to develop a soil and agroforestry project designed to improve overall soil health and fertility, increase shade, reduce the impacts of extreme heat on crops, lower energy costs and help conserve water.
- Creighton Community Foundation, located in East Central Phoenix, will use the grant funds to support expansion of an urban farm focused on regenerative, low-resource and environmentally tolerant gardening technologies that integrate renewable energy, composting and aquaponics. Purchases will include construction materials, farm startup supplies, tools, rentals and funds for a Master Gardener.
- YoBro Farms, a small farm in West Phoenix, will expand its mushroom growing business by implementing an outdoor, solar-powered, vertical mushroom farming system. Purchases will include photovoltaic supplies, a shed, air-conditioning units, production and operations supplies, sales equipment and materials.
- Recycled City, LLC, a composting operation and farm in South Phoenix, will offer composting services and a fresh produce farm box for 38 weeks to 26 households located in food deserts in South Phoenix.
The funds come from the federal American Rescue Plan Act as part of the city's food assistance plan to address the food needs of vulnerable populations impacted by COVID-19.